Monday, November 17, 2014

What's New?

Aspen Glow is coming along slowly but surely!  I don't know what it is about this stage of the process - especially with huge quilts - but the closer I get to the end, the slower I seem to go and the more effort it takes to make myself work on it!

While I was procrastinating, though, I just happened to stumble on Lori Holt's Have Yourself A Quilty Little Christmas Instagram Sew Along.  I've been seeing her fun blocks pop up on my feed for few days now ... and last night I threw in the towel and joined too!



I just couldn't resist!  Ever since we finished our Spring Sampler blocks, I've really been missing having a small project that lets me get in a little bit of sewing time, just for me.

I don't have a ton of Christmas fabric in my stash, and certainly don't have any collections with the kind of colors needed for these blocks.  On a whim, I decided to use a Fat Eighths bundle of Wren's and Friends by Gina Martin for Moda, possibly with a few yellows from my stash thrown in.



I know that this line is meant to be a summery/fall-ish kind of line, but I think that the reds, greens, and browns, with the occasional splash of aqua and pink are translating really well as "Christmas-y" fabrics ... without looking too "Santa-ish."  Besides,  it'll be good to have a holiday project that won't scream "I still haven't put my Christmas Decorations away" when it's still out in February!


The majority of the blocks are taken from Lori's Quilty Fun book, but she's posted tutorials for a few new blocks on her Instagram feed as well.  Even if you're not planning on sewing along, you have to stop by her fee and check out her Gingerbread man block - so flippin' adorable!

Block #1 - House



Block #2 - Mug



Block #3 - Christmas Tree



I'm trying to force myself to finish pinning all my Aspen Glow rows together this morning, so that I can knock them out during nap time this afternoon ... but these blocks are so cute, that I'm not quite sure I can resist!

2 comments:

  1. I love the collection of fabrics you have chosen. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love holiday projects!

    ReplyDelete