Monday, October 6, 2014

Introducing - Cold Hands, Warm Hearts

Hi Quilting Friends!  I'm so happy to finally be able to share our latest pattern.  Introducing ... Cold Hands, Warm Hearts!


This pattern was designed as part of Connecting Thread's Gifty Galore series and features their fabulous new holiday line by MaryJo Tuttle, called Snowed Inn.



You can read more about the quilt and bonus mug rugs over in my Gifty Galore guest post today!  Through the holidays, the pattern will be available exclusively through Connecting Threads.





So, back in my DINK days - that's dual income, no kids days - I was rather notorious for last minute holiday gifts.  One year I made something like 10 table runners in the space of about a week for my aunts, sisters-in-law, mom, granny and co-workers.  Another year, I managed 5 Amy Butler Birdie Slings plus a quilt for my granny.

Now that I have the little monkeys running around, this scale of handmade holiday gifts is impossible!  But I do still enjoy {making and} giving them ... and one of my favorites is the mug rug!


These 10" little treasures are quick to whip together and still give you that satisfaction not only have having sewn something, but of actually having finished something!  I love pairing mine with a giant mug and a pretty tin of loose-leaf tea or a mini mason jar filled with hot cocoa mix.

Just for fun, here's my favorite hot cocoa mix recipe - you can view the original here from Sunset.

Photo by David Prince for Sunset

Peppermint Stick Cocoa Mix

{Yields 1 quart mix or 12 servings}
  • 1 cup powdered milk
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
Layer the ingredients together in your jar - if using a smaller jar, just keep the ratios the same.

Some people complained in the reviews that the candy canes stayed chunky, even after mixing it with boiling water or milk, so you could always run them through the food processor before adding them to the jar.  Other people added mini marshmallows at the top, just for fun!

Be sure to include a gift tag with these instructions for the recipient: Mix contents in a large bowl.  For each serving, place 1/3 cup cocoa mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup of boiling water or milk.  Store remaining mix in an airtight container.


If you'd like to make your own version of our Cold Hands, Warm Hearts quilt or mug rugs, the pattern is available exclusively through Connecting Threads until after the holidays.

A big thank you goes out to Parm and Heidi, my fabulous pattern testers.  You can check out their fun versions below!  

Parm @ FiddleHead Quiltz

Heidi @ DIY and Live to Tell


If you've made your own version, we'd love to see it!  Share photos in our flickr group or on facebook, instagram, or pinterest, using #CorasQuilts.  Happy sewing!

10 comments:

  1. That is a darling quilt, and I love the colors you've made it in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm dreaming of peppermint hot chocolate from my favourite mug, which just happens to be sitting on your gorgeous mug rug in my daydream....But seriously, you've just solved a couple of Christmas gifting dilemmas for me! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr! Thank goodness for warm hearts... and quilts! Such a super cute finish and lovely pattern, Shelley. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is just adorable. :D Love the name, and the cornerstone blocks. And blue always draws me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a darling quilt, and now I'm in the mood for hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute patterns. And I definitely want to try that hot chocolate--it looks so pretty in the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute Christmas quilt and the mug rug is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely quilt. I really like your mug rug and your idea to give it along with a mug and some tea or cocoa. Your peppermint cocoa sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fantastic quilt...I especially love the subtle pop of red! I can't wait for cold weather and Christmas! The cocoa just makes me more impatient.

    ReplyDelete