Welcome to our last set of instructional posts in our Spring Sampler Series! A big thank you goes out to Connecting Threads for sponsoring our quilt along!
Share photos of this block below in our linky party or in our flickr group. Each block shared between now and 7/24/14 is an entry into our prize raffle - US & Canadian residents only, please.
The following post gives instructions for finishing the 13-block lap-size version of our spring sampler. If you're making the 9-block wall-hanging version, finishing instructions are posted here.
Always be sure to read through the entire set of instructions before beginning, sew with a 1/4" seam, and press seams as directed by the arrows.
Sashing Cutting Instructions
From the Background fabric (#2), cut:
24 - 12 ½” x 2" rectangles
From the Dark Print (#3), cut:
5 - 3 ½” x width of fabric strips
Choose one Medium Print (#4), and cut:
16 - 2" squares
Quilt Top Construction
1. Lay out 4 - 2" Medium Print squares and 3 - 12 ½” x 2” Background rectangles as pictured; sew together and press. Repeat to make a total of 4 rows.
2. Lay out the nine sampler blocks. We like the following arrangement:
3. When happy with the arrangement, attach vertical 3 - 12 ½” x 2” Background rectangles to the sides of the blocks as pictured; press away from the sashing blocks.
4. Lay out the sashing rows made in step #1 along with the rows constructed in step #3. Sew rows together and press towards the sashing rows.
Please read this important note before border construction:
5. Sew the 5 - 3 ½” x width of fabric strips together, end-to-end, into one continuous piece; press seams open.The border measurements provided below are mathematically correct measurements. Since all quilt tops can vary a little bit in actual constructed size, measure the length and width of your own quilt top in several places (but not along the edges, as they can stretch a little during construction) to find out if any adjustments need to be made to your own border sizes. Press all seams towards the borders.
6. From the continuous strip, cut 2 - 42 ½” x 3 ½” rectangles. Attach these to the left and right sides of the quilt top.
7. From the the continuous strip, cut 2 - 48 ½” x 3 ½” rectangles. Attach these to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
8. Layer backing, batting, and quilt top together. Baste and quilt as desired.
9. Cut 5 - 2 ½” x width of fabric strips from the Binding print and attach end-to-end into one continuous strip.
10. Match the raw edges of the continuous strip together lengthwise, and iron along the fold to crease. Attach the binding to the front of the quilt, aligning the raw edge of the binding with the raw edge of the quilt. Fold the binding over and hand sew to the back edge with a neat, blind stitch.
Congratulations! You've finished your sampler! Please share your photo finishes in our Parade of Quilts linky party or in our Flickr Group. All photos count as entries into our Connecting Threads gift certificate drawings on July 25th!
Thank you so much for sewing along with Cora's Quilts! It has been my incredible pleasure to share this journey together - I'm so happy to have met some wonderful new friends and can't wait for our next quilt along project - our Autumn Aspen Glow Quilt.