Welcome back to our Spring Sampler Series! A big thank you goes out to Connecting Threads for sponsoring our quilt along and to Heidi and Cheryl, our incredibly talented pattern testers!
Share photos of this block below in our linky party or in our flickr group. Each block shared between now and 7/24/14 is an entry into our prize raffle - US & Canadian residents only, please.
Did everyone get caught up last week? I had the best of intentions ... but got distracted by lots of other quilty goodness - more on them soon. Block #7 is possibly my favorite in the whole quilt. The whole time I was putting it together, I kept envisioning an entire quilt made from this block. Maybe someday ...
Always be sure to read through the entire set of instructions before beginning, sew with a 1/4" seam, and press seams as directed by the arrows.
Block 7 - Cutting Instructions
From the Background fabric (#2), cut:
2 - 4 ¼” squares, cut in quarters, diagonally
From the Dark Print (#3), cut:
2 - 4" squares
4 - 2 ⅞" squares, cut in half, diagonally
Choose 4 Vibrant Prints (#1)
From the first, cut:
1 - 3 ½” square
From the second, cut:
4 - 3 ⅞” squares, cut in half, diagonally
From the third, cut:
4 - 2 ⅝” squares
From the fourth, cut:2 - 4” squares
Choose 1 Medium Print (#4), and cut:
2 - 3 ⅞” squares, cut in half, diagonally
Set-up: Square-in-Square Block
Make a Square-in-Square block, using our tutorial, 1 - 3 ½" Vibrant Print square, and 4 - 2 ⅞” Dark Print triangles. Square and trim blocks down to 4 ¾".
Here we go - apologies in advance this week for some really sloppy piecing on my part. Strangely enough my block turned out perfectly ... it just was a bit of a hot mess coming together. Oh well, we all have those weeks, right?
1. Attach a 3 ⅞” Medium Print triangle to the left and right sides of the center Square-in-Square block.
2. Attach a 3 ⅞” Medium Print triangle to the top and bottom of the center block
3. With a fabric pencil, draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each of the 4” Vibrant Print squares.
4. Pin a 4” Vibrant Print squares right-sides-together with a 4” Dark Print square; sew a scant 1/4” seam along both sides of the pencil line.
5. Cut the unit in half along the drawn line and press each of the two resulting blocks; repeat steps #3-#4 to make a total of 4 blocks. Square and trim the blocks to 3 ½”.
6. Attach a 4 ¼” Background triangle to the right side of each of the 4 - 2 ⅝” Vibrant Print squares.
7. Attach a 4 ¼” Background triangle to the top of each of the blocks made in step #6.
8. Attach a 3 ⅞” Vibrant Print triangle to the left and right sides of each of the blocks made in step #7.
9. Attach a block made in step #8 to the left and right sides of the center block.
10. Attach a Half-Square-Triangle block made in step #5 to the left and right sides of the two remaining blocks made in step #8.
11. Attach the two blocks made in step #10 to the top and bottom of the center block.
Sit back, kick your feet back, and pat yourself on the back for finishing another block ... and then share your photos below in our linky party or in our flickr group!