Thursday, May 22, 2014

Meet the Beast - my Brother PQ1500s

I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of the Cora's Quilt team!  He's a Brother PQ1500S and he is a BEAST!


When I first began shopping for a new sewing machine about a year ago, I had no idea where to start.  I read a few blogs and some amazon reviews, but all the information was so overwhelming that I put the decision off for when I had more time to do my research.  At a trade show earlier this year, I had the chance to sit down with a Bernina 840QE and even with the hefty price tag, I almost left with one! {My hubby would interject here that in reality, it was no where near that close to happening ...}

I knew, deep down, though, that I just needed a plain old, straight-stitchin' work horse - something that could piece accurately at the speed of light and something that had a throat space bigger than the eye of a needle, so that I at least had a fighting chance of quilting some of my larger projects at home.

A little more research now that I had an actual direction lead to two top choices in my price range: the Brother PQ1500S and the Juki TL2010Q.  There are a lot of great arguments out there for both machines, but in the end I chose the Brother, purely for the fact that it had four different feed dog positions at the flip of a switch, while the Juki required screwing on an additional face-place to achieve a "lowered" position.


I haven't had a great deal of time to spend with him, but let me tell you: he is awesome ... and he is FAST!  Like, 1500 stitches per minute fast.  Like, so fast that I feel like I lose control of the fabric while I'm sewing!  Half-way through next month's Super Mario QAL Block, I realized that one a seam guide attachment was included in the bundle of feet and attachments!


This thing is much heftier - and much more useful - than the small, foot-attached one used by L'ila Bro!


Now this thing is in place, I  can really fly!  And the knee lift bar (not pictured) is amazing!  How did I sew without this thing before!  It was a little awkward at first, but now it's becoming second nature.

I'm in the process of some "just for fun" quilts ... in between all the quilt along goodness.  Putting the machine through its paces for piecing, quilting, and binding seemed like the best way to get to know one another!  I'm constantly amazed at the quality and precision of the stitches, no matter the {fluctuating} speeds - and I'm sure I'll be singing it's praises even more when I actually get the walking-foot on and settle in for some straight-line quilting.

Until then, I'll leave you with this picture, because it warms my heart.  Getting this not-so-little man to sit still for 30 seconds ... let alone 30 minutes on my lap was priceless!  Granted the sewing took twice as long, but having a mid-morning snuggle buddy has a huge ray of sunshine in a grumpy week!


Oh!  And before I forget, I submitted this quilt and this quilt to the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side.



Be sure to stop by and check out all the beautiful quilts.  The creativity and imaginations of my fellow quilters never ceases to amaze and inspire me!  Voting opens on Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. she is certainly a beauty and the little fellow looks like he has got the stitching talent too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new machine!!!! I will eventually get one too. I'm sewing on my "travel" machine because the other one just died. Enjoy the snuggle time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting as it is the first Brother versus Juki blog report I have seen! Can you tell me if the FMQ foot is spring loaded and exactly how much throat/harp space you have there? I checked the price on Amazon, Brother are one of the few you can find the price Easily!! Competition for Juki it seems!

    ReplyDelete