Friday, May 16, 2014

2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival - Small Quilt Entry, Original Design

I'm so excited to finally be joining the Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy's Creative Side.  I've admired the festival for years now, and I'm so happy to finally be organized enough to have a couple of entries to share!



The last 18 months have been crazy busy {and crazy} for our family! Hubby switched to a new position at work, we moved, we had a baby, and I actually managed to get a fair amount of sewing and pattern writing accomplished.  The two quilts I've chosen to share this year, though are tied to very special memories of my boys.  You can read about my Large Quilt Entry, Original Design submission here.



Aspen Glow is probably my all-time favorite quilt design.  The idea was born late last spring while I was pregnant with my second son.  May, June, and July were some of the hottest months in my memory.  We kept having these streaks of days where the temperature was over 110 and my sewing room turned into an oven.  Add a very active and curious 18 month boy and ginormous belly into the mix ... well, it just wasn't a time where I was meant to get much sewing done.  So, instead, I kept playing around with this geometric design, inspired by my kitchen rug, of all things!

I sketched, and planned, and re-worked, and did lots of quilty math, and finally about two weeks before my due date, I had a working pattern and a whole bundle of Kate & Birdie's Winter's Lane fabric just waiting to be transformed.  At the time, my best guess was that it would be a post-Christmas project.



In the weeks after Jamie was born, however, I found that I had a surprising amount of sewing time on my hands.  My littlest man had a mean case of colic and some very painful tummy troubles ... and long story, short, he was happiest napping and snuggling in his moby wrap.  I moved my sewing machine to our kitchen table and happily pieced the whole quilt with baby snuggled against my heart.


While my little domestic sewing machine wasn't up to the task of putting together more than the wall-hanging size quilt, I knew that someday I'd make a queen-sized quilt to live my bed.  Now that the beast has joined the Cora's Quilts team, I think I'm up for the task!



Which leads me to some very exciting news!  I'm very happy and extremely excited to announce that this fall, Cora's Quilts will be hosting an Aspen Glow quilt along.  You can find more information about the project here.  We've re-imagined the quilt palette using Kate & Birdie's AMAZING new fall line, Autumn Woods, so it will truly live up to it's name!



More information, including updated fabric requirements for this fall's quilt will be available soon. If you're interested in sewing along with us, just leave me a comment on the quilt along page or email me at Info{at}CorasQuilts{dot}com.



Thank you so much for stopping by and make sure to vote for all your favorite quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival - voting is open May 24 - 29.  Happy sewing!!

26 comments:

  1. Wowsa!! I am so glad I found your blog thru the Quilt Festival!! The pattern is AMAZING. I will definitely be joining you for the quilt along :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do post the fabric requirements soon, that line of fabric should be hitting stores any day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great pattern and beautiful quilt. I love that it was inspired by your kitchen rug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design and what a good idea, having a quilt along using it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've admired this quilt before. It's not just the great design, I really like the fabrics and colors, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing pattern - it looks great. Love your story about how you sewed in the kitchen with your baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very delicate looking..so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this quilt when I first saw it. I bought the pattern and I've started my own version. But I haven't got far - I was heavily pregnant when I started it and it's taken a back seat since my little one arrived. I would definitely be up for sewing along with you in Autumn - it could be the push I need to get it finished! A truly beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful pattern! Perfect use of this fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aspen Glow is a GORGEOUS quilt. YES! I'm in. I am thankful that it will be starting in the fall. I am still busy with Super Mario and the Spring Sampler QA. But I'm excited for the Aspen Glow QA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, that's pretty! Love that mosaic tile look...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quit is so pretty! Love the pattern. I am working on finishing all of my UFOs this year, hopefully I can join in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt! Very pretty.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this pattern! I would love to join in a Quilt Along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible story... Amazing quilt design. And the remake in Autumn Woods is going to be just gorgeous! Wow! Congratulations on all the newness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this pattern! What a gorgeous design, and such a sweet story to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty and such a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful quilt. I really love the colours you used for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt are wonderful:))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt: design, color choices and execution. How delightful that your son was there for the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all so much for the lovely comments! I'm so very sorry that I haven't been able to respond to you all individually, but know that your thoughts are so very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful quilt! It's nice colors scheme and design are really amazing. I'm glad to found your blog, there are a lot of content to read and I think so much to think about. I love your quilting as these are very special to you because they are attached with very special moments of your life.

    ReplyDelete