Friday, May 16, 2014

2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival - Large Quilt Entry, Original Design

I'm so excited to finally be joining the Blogger's Quilt Festival, hosted by Amy's Creative Side.  I've admired the festival for years now, and I'm so happy to finally be organized enough to have a couple of entries to share!


The last 18 months have been crazy busy {and crazy} for our family! Hubby switched to a new position at work, we moved, we had a baby, and I actually managed to get a fair amount of sewing and pattern writing accomplished.  The two quilts I've chosen to share this year, though are tied to very special memories of my boys.  You can read about my Small Quilt Entry, Original Design submission here.


My other big finish in the last year was my Flurry quilt and I'd love to share a bit of the story behind its snowy home-coming (excerpts taken from this original post).



I normally photograph my quilts in our backyard, or at the local park, but it just so happened that a few days after I got my Flurry finished quilt top back from my wonderful Long-Arm Quilter, Fran, we were heading up the hill for a weekend in Tahoe with our bestie cousins so that our {combined} four little munchkins could play in the snow.  As I was furious working on the binding in the car while driving up HWY 80, I was getting so excited about getting to photograph the quilt in an actual wintery setting!  But ... as we drove higher and higher ... the scenery wasn't changing at all.  In fact, when we hit Donner Summit, there was not a single patch of snow to be found!

Just to look at the hill top in the background of the photo below!  It looks more like August than January!!



I was sooooo disappointed!  I knew that we were having a record dry year, but deep down I think I expected to see at least a powdered sugar dusting and some snow patches in the shade!  I settled for taking some photos from our townhouse balcony and figured that would be as close as I got to a wintery setting.  Luckily, the following morning, after two hours of driving around, we finally found some snow near the Mt. Rose summit! 


After much goofing around with the kiddos, I was able to sneak in a quick couple of pictures before we headed back to our cabin for lunch!


Satisfied ... I packed the quilt away in the car for the trip home.  But, as we were bundling the kids upstairs for naps, we happened to glance outside and see that we had actual snow flurries!!!



It was so awesome!  After snapping a couple more pictures from our deck, I took the quilt back upstairs and snuggled down under it with my not-so-little son.  Let me tell you, it was the best way to spend an afternoon - cuddled up with a dozing toddler under a warm, cozy quilt, watching the snow softly fall outside.  When we woke up, I had my snow dusted vista ... 


... and the kiddies had their very own snow park in our cul-de-sac.


I loved this quilt before we left, but now it's all wrapped up in snuggly, happy, wintery memories too!


Thank you so much for stopping by and make sure to vote for all your favorite quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival - voting is open May 16 - 29.  Happy sewing!!

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics and quilt! Love the blues in it!. The quilting is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt. Weather just never wants to cooperate does it? But even so you got some great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks so pretty in the snow :) It must be a lovely one to snuggle up in, nice and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another beautiful quilt! I loved your other entry as well. Great photos in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt and fun story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty! Snow definitely complement your beautiful quilt, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very wintery-looking even if the setting/weather tried to stymie you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! Getting just the right photo is no small undertaking, love the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! Every time I see a pic of a quilt and go 'ooohhh!", I click on it, and it's one of yours!!!
    XX!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got your picture! It's a beautiful quilt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of your quilt entries are going to be hard to beat, Shelley! You do amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt! The colors are so great together! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really like your quilt design. Looks great in its setting with the snow.

    ReplyDelete