Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring Sampler - Introduction

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you probably already know that I live in a house full of busy, rambunctious boys!  Between my hubby and our two little men, my life is filled with potty talk, hilarity over body parts and noises, legos, mud, robots, dinosaurs, and luckily ... the occasional manly hug.

Photo by Leann Marie Photos
Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade our happy chaos for anything!  But sometimes, I have a teeny tiny longing for something soft ... and girly ... and well, pink!  Sorry Mom - it's not another baby.  But it is a brand new quilt along!  Introducing ...


Now, I know what you're thinking: another quilt along?  Aren't you already sponsoring the Super Mario Brothers Quilt Along?  Well, the answer is yes ... but Mario is for the boys ... and ladies, this one is for us!

One of the hardest lessons I've learned in my adventures in motherhood is that I take much better care of my family when I take a little time out take care of myself.  Remember this post?  Well, the whole taking time out idea is much easier in theory than in practice, and so I'm building in a little "me-time" this spring in the form of a weekly quilt along!

Wall-hanging - 9 Blocks - 48" x 48"

Starting later this month, I'll be sharing weekly free tutorials for making these NINE classic quilt block, based on patterns in the out-of-print book 5500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone.  The book is absolutely not necessary for the quilt along, but it's an amazing book to peruse, should you be lucky enough to have a nearby library that carries it!

Each block finishes at 12" and takes about an hour or so to put together.  Either quilt can be made from +/- 14-18 fat quarters and a little bit of yardage.  And the best part?  There are no templates, strip piecing, special rulers, or paper piecing!  Just plain 'old cutting fabric up and sewing it back together - totally manageable, even for beginners!

Lap-Size - 13 Blocks - 64" x 64"

The nine blocks can be finished with straight sashing for a 48" wall-hanging or crib-size quilt, or, with five additional blocks (just re-make a few of your favorites), can be finished on-point for a 64" lap-size quilt.

I was able to get my hands on a gorgeous bundle of fat quarters from Connecting Thread's Hampton Hues line and I can't wait to get started - I hope you'll join me!

Our Quilt Along Schedule will be as follows:
April 4 - Introduction
April 28 - Block 2
May 5 - Block 3
May 12 - Block 4
May 19 - Block 5
May 26 - Block 6
June 2 -Catch Up Week
June 9 - Block 7
June 16 - Block 8
June 23 - Block 9
June 30 - Finishing Instructions
July 1 - Project Parade
July 25 - Drawing for Prizes - US and Canadian residents only, please

Follow along at your own pace - the instructions will be on the blog indefinitely.  Each week we'll have a linky party to show off our finishes and cheer each other on!  You can also share photos in our flickr group or on Facebook or Instagram using hashtag #CQSpring Sampler.

Oh ... and did I mention that there'll be prizes?  



Connecting Threads, is sponsoring our quilt along and has generously agreed to provide two participants with $25 gift certificates - US and Canadian residents only, please.  You'll be automatically entered to win those and other fantastic prizes including fat quarters, charm packs, and quilting swag with each block you post in the weekly linky parties or flickr group.

So, start shopping from your stashes or your favorite fabric shops!  We'll be back tomorrow with more information fabric requirements and a linky party to show off your fabric choices!

10 comments:

  1. I have not signed up for any QAL this year, so this may be the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the first time I have visited your blog. So glad you posted thru Freemotion by the River! I want to participate in this, but we are in the middle of moving, but I will save the instructions to do at a later date! I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy and welcome! We just finished moving, so I totally get it. :) The quilt along instructions will be up indefinitely - hope you can join us soon!

      Delete
  3. Neato and good for you. I like your color palette lots!

    I would argue that Mario isn't always for the boys... My bowser quilt is all for me!
    http://theboredzombie.com/2013/11/bowser-quilt-putting-it-all-together.html

    Of course, I have the maturity of a 14 year old boy. ahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - I'm totally with you on the 14-year-old sense of humor bit. :)

      Delete
  4. This will be a beautiful spring sampler! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. Those noises can be rather obnoxious! This quilt along does look delightful, Shelley. Very sweet sampler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They totally are ... but then I usually find myself laughing along too. Resistance is futile. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete