Sunday, December 8, 2013

Introducing ... Drift Away by Cora's Quilts

I'm so very excited to finally be able to share pictures of this quilt!  Introducing ... Drift Away by Cora's Quilts!


This sweet little quilt found its new home with a my hubby's cousin over the weekend. This red-haired mama-to-be loves mermaids and has set up the sweetest little "Under the Sea" nursery for her little sea princess, due next month.  As soon as I heard what she had chosen for her nursery theme, I dropped all previous baby quilt plans and ordered several prints from Sarah Jane's Out to Sea line for Michael Miller Fabrics.  The Blossom colorway is just gorgeous and the fabric, itself, is so incredibly soft and beautiful to work with.


I wanted a design that was modern, yet soft at the same time.  The crisp white sashing helped me find just the right balance between the two, and the large, center panel was a great place to showcase the larger scale Mermaid Play print, amongst the smaller Narwhal and Sea Blossom prints.


I just fell in love with the Coral Pink & Yellow Nautical Maps print, so it was an obvious choice for the quilt backing.  The little peaks of sea monsters, whale tails, and octopuses are just to stinking cute!


All in all, it turned out to be a very special quilt for a gal that will always hold a very special place in my heart! You see, many years ago, she and her best friend inadvertently found themselves tagging along on my first date with my hubby.  He had invited me to a concert at the (then brand new) amphitheater in town, and it didn't even occur to him to let me know that he was carpooling with some friends, but that the two of them were related (men!).  I just assumed that My "third wheel status" was his way of letting me down gently ... until she found out what all the awkwardness was about and gave him HELL! The rest is history, and it's still to this day one of our favorite stories to share. :)


I'm pleased to say that we are now offering the Drift Away quilt pattern in our etsy and craftsy shops.  It's a perfect project for beginners because there are so few seams to line up! For a scrappier look, use a fat quarter for the center panel and replace the surrounding squares with 5" Charm Squares or bits from your stash. Finishing at a generous 45", this quilt is the perfect gift for the little sea princess in your life!










2 comments: