Monday, October 7, 2013

There's a reason why "KNIT" is a four letter word.

The first craft I fell in love with was crocheting.  My granny taught me when I was probably 8 or 9.  I would spend a couple of weeks at her house every summer and she would let me loose in her yarn closet.  Over the years, I went from wonky little trapezoids (I usually forgot the extra chain stitch at the end of each row) to squares, and then finally made it to afghans, doilies, and even snowflakes and granny squares.

By the time I hit my twenties, I could crochet in my sleep and was in search of something a little more challenging.  After watching a coworker spend endless hours knitting these beautiful shawls and socks during our slow days, I asked my mom to teach me to knit too.



Let's just suffice to say that the lesson was a disaster!  Not on my mom's part, as she's a great teacher ... and not even on the part of my little brother, who at the age of 20 and the epitome of cool, could not believe that I just couldn't get the hang of casting on - "For God's sake, Shelley - even I learned in my 3rd grade class.  It's not that hard!"  And yes, the little twerp proceeded to demonstrate his skills.  Jerk.

Fast forward a few more years, and hours of watching YouTube videos, plus more help from my mom and my Auntie, I finally managed to master the trick of casting on and made some feeble attempts at a scarf ... usually accompanied by quite a bit of profanity.  Knitting made me super tense ... which made my stitches super tight ... which usually resulted in me dropping stitches and having to frog the whole $%#& project.



And the whole bit about having to turn the project around, and a right and wrong sides of a project {even though this is NO different than crochet} irritated to me to no end, so I switch to knitting socks in the round on Double Pointed Needles (DPNs).

Socks fed the occasional urge to knit, although with my crafting ADD, I usually only managed to finish one sock before getting bored with the pattern and moving on to something else. I think I've managed to finish a single pair.



The knitting bug has bitten me again, though, and I finally feel like I've practiced enough to start some "real" projects: this gorgeous Haruni shawl and this fabulous New York Cardigan.  My plan is to share the occasional update here on my blog, but you can also follow me on Ravelry and Instagram @CorasQuilts too!

No comments:

Post a Comment